Sniper Rifle is one of the heavy armory addition to the land forces armory, yet the most precise and deadly weapon which can send a demoralizing wave in the rival’s army at once, observed as the “One Shot, One Kill” deadly weapon. Today, we list down the sniper rifles which were used by the allied and opposing forces in the World War II.
Arisaka Type 99 (Rifle): Japan
The First Model of the Arisaka Rifle was planned, designed and the project was executed by Colonel Nariakira Arisaka in the year 1897. It was a bolt action type rifle for the grand Japanese Armed Forces from the year 1897 to 1945.
During the production five modifications were produced under the name; Type 30, 38, 44, 97 and the 99. The Type 38 and Type 99 Rifles were the most common and was the rifle most likely to be come across during the war in the Pacific. There were also some various sub categories produced, like the 7.7 Sniper or the 6.5-Take down Paratrooper model, but these rifles were rarely produced.
The early models of the type 99 contained a folding wire mono-pod, flip up sights with “Anti-Aircraft” bars, chrome plated bores, and a dust cover. As the war went on the quality had dropped. These late war rifles where known as “Last Ditch” rifles and were very crudely manufactured with most missing the accessories of the earlier models.
MAS 36 (Rifle): France
Using the 8mm Label cartridge in the year 1886, the French army became the first one to accept the smokeless rifle bullets. In the beginning of 1920s this rimmed cartridge became archaic, so French began to develop an up to date, rimless cartridge, more appropriate for proposed lightweight machine guns. The MAS 36 Rifle was one of the best sniper rifles of the French army using the same bolt action type model.
In the year 1936 French forces legitimately accepted the MAS Mle.1936 (MAS-36) the bolt action rifle, developed by the Manufacture D’Armes de Saint-Etienne. In the coming year the French army adopted a new modified paratrooper’s version being recognized as MAS-36 CR 39. This rifle served with French armed forces until the latest semi-automatic MAS-49 and MAS-49/56 replaced it in service between the following period 1950s and 1960s.