If you are facing issues regarding installation of software to your Mac mini due to problem in CD drive, then there exists a solution with which you can install it by using a working media drive. There are three ways to accomplish this task:
FireWire Target Disk Mode:
This method involves the following steps:
- Connect the two Macs using a FireWire cable.
- While holding the T key, restart the Mac.
- Now boot the Mac mini. You will see the hard drive of your MacBook on the desktop of Mac mini.
- Insert the installation CD/DVD in the media drive of MacBook.
- It will also appear on the desk top of Mac mini as a removable volume.
- For installation, open the volume and launch the installer by double clicking. This will start the installation.
- Open the system preferences on the MacBook.
- Click on sharing to enable the option of DVD/CD sharing.
- Start terminal on the Mac mini and enter the following two commands. Do not forget to hit Return after each command.
- Now reboot the Mac mini.
- Now the two Macs are on the same network.
- Insert the CD/DVD in the media drive of MacBook. Its icon will appear on the side bar of Mac mini.
- Select it and double click the inserted disc to begin installation.
Disk image method:
This method involves creating a disc mage on the MacBook, copying it to the Mac mini and then running the disk image.